The following questions and answers may help clarify uncertainties you have. If you still have questions, call us at (641) 472-6651.
It looks great, but I don't think my ceiling will hold it.
- Yes, Your Ceiling Will Hold it!
- We have never had a home where it could not be installed. This is the first question many people have, but it's actually not a problem. With our installation guide, any ceiling will hold the Floating Bed. (Just as your floor can easily hold the weight of several people standing on it, and you never have to worry about it.)
- It’s a simple matter to distribute the weight over a suitable area of the ceiling, which is explained in the manual with ample photos - or you can call us any time! A reasonable carpenter can hang one in most rooms in 8 - 16 hours. We do recommend professional installation, from a carpenter who does minor remodeling. That costs between $400 - $1000.
- We are happy to talk to the carpenter, and our advice is always free.
- We also have a variety of indoor and outdoor stands.
It looks like fun, but I don't think I would like all the motion.
- Many onlookers initially have this question, before they try one. Our patented design uses omni-pendulum motion, the same motion mothers use to rock babies. You probably already know how well that works - and it still does, for adults! Other beds will feel inferior after you try gentle motion.
- See the health benefits pdf for a fuller explanation. It can be tethered to reduce the motion if desirable, for small rooms.
How do your 6'6", 7'4", and 8' size Floating Beds compare to Double, Queen and King size beds?
- And what size sheets fit the Floating Bed? Eastern King sheets work perfectly, we promise.
- Click here, or for more detail, just call now for the free pre-installation guide, which compares Floating Bed sizes vs King, Queen, Double, and Twin beds (with photos and measurements).
What's so great about it?
- See the Benefits page.
Does it provide good back support and sleeping surface?
- Yes. It comes with a Memory Foam mattress, with a Certi-PUR rating (other options are available). However, even good quality Memory Foam mattresses have a different, cheap, fixed supporting material underneath - usually other, low quality (often toxic), foam. Memory Foam alone does not make the best mattress, because if it is thick enough to be comfortable, you sink in too deep. So we created a patented, adjustable suspension underneath, which other Memory Foam beds do not have. This is why even though in photos our mattress may look thin, it is actually effectively as thick as a 10" tall mattress, with added benefits.
- The Floating Bed has leveraging hinges, which allow you to adjust the tension on the under support net to whatever tautness or firmness you prefer; soft, medium, or firm. (This is one of the many patentable features on your Floating Bed.) This under support is extremely strong yet completely flexible, so it conforms to your body, and the net tension determines how deep you will sink in. This lets us use the ideal thickness of Memory Foam, so it can do the best job possible, AND you can adjust the firmness. Plus, it breathes, and you can use it indoors or out.
- However, the motion is what makes it truly great, and that is why it is the best, most comfortable bed anywhere. Whereas Memory Foam is the only claim to fame for many high-end beds, it is just the “icing on the cake” for a Floating Bed.
Why are they round? (Also, for more detail, contact us to receive our preinstall guide.)
- Because ANY hanging bed will rotate, a rectangular bed, with protruding corners, actually takes MORE space in your room, and the corners cause problems. Round is the best shape for all hanging beds. The Omni-Pendulum motion is also smoother, and more relaxing than 4 point hanging beds.
- The round shape, with our proprietary woven underlayment support, distributes the weight equally in all directions. It perfectly conforms to the exact shape of your body. (Rectangular shapes have unequal radial force vectors, and thus will have “creases” in the support.
How do I know if I’ll like it?
- We offer a money back guarantee! See our Warranty and Return Policy on the pricing page.
How many people can get in it?
- It is strong enough to support 1000 lbs (5-6 adults). The typical practical space available for lying down in one is 4 adults in a Queen, or 5 in a King. Otherwise, many children can pile into it (1000 lbs worth)!
So why haven’t I heard of it, or seen one at my friends’ house?
- This is a new product category, but experts are already recognizing it. It is called “The Bed of the Future,” at Disney World Resort® Innoventions at Epcot®. It has been approved by Medicaid, TriCare insurance, & The DDA (Developmental Disabilities Agency) for its health benefits for Autism, and it has many other health benefits as well. You can be the first one of your friends to have one.
How is it constructed, and how does it work? Is it durable, ecological?
- The stainless steel frame is made of 4 sections, and hinged. Developing this unique hinging feature and engineering it with sufficient strength took a long time, & the hinges are particularly important.
- They allow the device to be shipped via UPS, and stored easily in a small box. (Impossible with most beds.) It also makes it easy for one person to carry it around. This reduces weight, shipping and transportation costs, and difficulties of other beds, and reduces our use of natural resources.
- Stainless steel, the main component by weight (and by cost), is among the most recyclable materials in existence. With minimal care it will last well over 100 years. So it is built to last - not like most modern products which are made cheaply, to be disposed of in a few years. This all makes it very “green.” If you prefer, we even have hemp rope and an organic wool mattress, which make it “radically green.”
- The bed comes with all cords properly attached, and everything ready in place. So after 2 tube joint insertions, one hinge unfoldment, and 6 bolts are tightened, the bed is ready for use very quickly, once a suitable attachment point is found, or created. All the materials are rated for indoor or outdoor use.
Why are there so many cascade lines (the cone-like cords that it hangs from)?
- This better distributes weight around the frame, and provides practical and decorative options. The space between the Cascade Lines and the hoop holds sheets and bedding fast in place, in addition to the option of tucking them under the mattress as on a conventional bed. The Lines provides a place to lean against, or for the optional sofa backrest pillows, and they are quite useful for yoga and for other uses and positions. It provides support for the optional tent.
- Lastly, although the Omni-Pendulum Motion makes it nearly impossible to fall out, the Cascade Lines further minimize the possibility. (You can fall out of a regular bed far more easily than a Floating Bed.)
- However, it can be supplied with fewer (12) Cascade Lines if you like; call for advice.
- You can adjust the Lines for any ceiling height, or to install it any height above the floor you prefer.
Can it be customized?
- Yes, we can advise on that, and we have many options to make it just right for you. Call us at (641) 472-6651 and we'll help you find your perfect Hanging Bed!
How far will it swing, and how much wall clearance does it need?
- Call for our pre-install guide.
- This depends on several things, such as ceiling height, room furniture, how fast you get in it, and whether you tether it. Since the beds are large (even the Queen is 7’ 4” + in diameter), a room larger than 10' -11' square is preferred. However, people have placed them in spaces narrower than 10.' For that, it can be tethered and used in a smaller space. We are happy to talk with you to help you decide if you have the right space, so call for free advice.
How soon can I get one?
- Call now to get yours! Shipping usually takes place about 3-4 weeks after you order, and costs about $249 (for Floating Bed & Memory Foam) in the 48 states.